*Sunday, November 14th: Group Lesson “Magnus vs Nepo: World Championship Preview!”
Has your child been listening to FunMasterMike for years on ChessKid but always wanted to get personalized instruction from him? Well now you can!
FunMasterMike Mini-Camps and Group Lessons are held online in a small group format.
- Sunday, November 14th – Group Lesson: FunMasterMike presents “Magnus vs Nepo: World Championship Preview!” at 11am Eastern time/8am Pacific/3pm UK This event is open to players of all levels and will run about 1.5 hours. Cost of this event is $50 USD.
To register, use this online registration form.
Once your spot is confirmed, you will be emailed a payment link and private meeting link code.
Structure for Group Lessons:
- Group lessons focus on one theme, with many positions presented around that theme. Past themes have included: “How Karpov Wins”; “Magnus Carlsen’s World Championship Wins”; “Bobby Fischer’s 20-Game Winning Streak”; “Mikhail Tal’s Craziest Sacrifices”
- Class size is larger than mini-camps, but still limited.
- Generally, unless otherwise stated, there’s no minimum or maximum rating for students.
- The lesson will be recorded and the full video sent to all kids for later replay.
- The cost of group lessons is $50 USD per student, payable by Paypal.
Structure for Mini-Camps:
- 6-10 kids will be allowed to register for each camp and will play a 3-round tournament on ChessKid.com at a time control of G/15, using normal Swiss pairings. Efforts will be made to group kids into the right mini-camp according to ability.
- After each round, FunMasterMike will review all games with all players using a private Zoom meeting. The mini-camp will alternate between game play and review of games. There will also be some puzzles and mini-lessons mixed in.
- A sample timeline of a camp is: Welcome and greetings, round 1 games, review of the 4 games of round 1, then round 2, review of the 4 games of round 2, a short break, round 3, and a review of the 4 games of round 3 and declaring a winner.
- Students will use their normal ChessKid account for the games, and pairings will be done by their Fast Chess rating. This is a training tournament/mini-camp, and so to take pressure off of the kids, there are no formal prizes.
- The camp will be recorded and the full video sent to all kids for later replay.
- The cost of mini-camps is $175 USD per student, payable by Paypal.
Spring Break Mini-Camp:
- Instruction for the 2-day Spring Break mini-camp will be a different format & will include special guest instructors.
- All levels welcome. Campers will be divided into groups based on rating.
- Cost of this 2-day mini-camp is $300 USD per student (includes both days), payable by Paypal.